Geofenced display advertising is proving to be an effective tactic for digital marketers across multiple industries. The companies that learn to include this intelligent, location-based advertising into their mix will likely see quick returns and will be positioning themselves to be more competitive in the future.
What is geofencing?
Geofencing is the practice of establishing a radius around a high-value physical location. That could include an advertiser’s brick & mortar location, public events (sporting event, street fair, etc.), industry conferences, travel destinations and more.
The size of the radius can be adjusted to accommodate different campaign strategies. For example:
- B2B advertisers who want to drive booth traffic at a key industry conference that their salespeople are attending would want to keep their geofence tight to the conference venue and any applicable hotels in the nearby area.
- Restaurant advertiser who wants to drive lunch traffic would want to cast a slightly larger net and would set their geofence up to include key business, shopping and residential areas within a short distance to their location.
- An entertainment venue in a coastal tourist town who wants to drive same day visits may want to geofence popular beaches and push ads with real-time information & offers for their business.
Depending on the campaign strategy, advertisers have the ability to add other targeting layers to be even more precise with their geofence advertising investments. That includes targeting strategies such as age, gender, income, in-market behavior, etc.
Right time, right place, right message. It works!
In the past year, we’ve worked to help clients reimagine possible through the use of intelligent geofencing. The result?
- After deploying strategic geofencing display campaigns, a local co-op for a national fast casual restaurant brand saw an increase in in-store sales & traffic and catering sales after the first 3-months.
- Regional healthcare provider sees significant out-of-network referral growth after investing in location-based ad campaigns that geofenced key non-affiliated healthcare facilities within their territory.
- Double-digit foot traffic growth at key industry conferences for a national B2B advertiser after using strategic geofencing strategies that targeted the event venue and surrounding hotels.
Get started. It’s easier than you think!
While location-based advertising, or geo-fencing, has been available for a few years now. Several challenges have contributed to the slow adoption by regional advertisers:
- Companies lack awareness of the opportunities available to them
- Local agency partners lack the necessary understanding of how to strategically use the technology
- Limited purchase options and campaign minimums have kept many advertisers on the outside looking in
Today, advertisers have more options than ever to target their potential customers with digital display advertising. Campaigns can be built to accommodate all budget levels and audience segments. If you’ve been thinking about how to increase the impact of your advertising investment through the use of location-based digital advertising strategies, we would value the opportunity to talk to you. You can learn more about our agency and the type of customers we work with here.
Learn With Us
Get news, case studies, updates, and more delivered straight to your inbox.